CELEBRATE TWELVE YEARS OF GREAT KIDS’ MEDIA
The 12th Annual KAPi (Kids at Play Interactive) Awards celebrate excellence in children’s media and digital toys. What makes the KAPI Award program unique is our illustrious panel of judges. For the past ten years our experts have crafted a vision of the best digital toys on the market, and expressed that vision in the KAPi awards.
CES is the showcase for technology and innovation. At the heart of innovation is a multi-million dollar toy industry that’s committed to growing digitally-adept future citizens. It’s a great venue to cross-pollinate with other technophiles and get a pulse on the trends that empower the next gen of tech.
How Can I Enter My Product?
We’ve got an FAQ for that! The process involves self-nomination, with a nominal entry fee. To see if you quality read the FAQ. What do we win? A place in history, a big trophy, plus an unforgettable night of food, entertainment and honors at the KAPi Awards on January 9 in Las Vegas. Plus your product remains on display with video links, social media, online voting stats and a logo program linking your site from Sept – Sept each year.
How Can I Find Out More?
The KAPis are part of the CES Kids at Play/FamilyTech Summit at CES. They were created by Warren Buckleitner, Founder of Children’s Technology Review, as a way for the industry to come together to honor the developers and designers who’ve given kids so much joy and knowledge.
What are the KAPi Awards?
The KAPi (Kids at Play Interactive) Awards is an annual, juried celebration of noteworthy children’s technology products. The independent panel of jurors selects both products and the people behind them.
What products are eligible?
- Any child-focused products (age range birth-16), including apps and online video games, connected play experiences, robotic and maker toys, digitally-delivered content, and virtual(VR), augmented (AR) and mixed reality (XR) and powered play with artificial intelligence (AI).
- Products from any country and company are eligible, as long as they are commercially available in the United States.
- Products must have a copyright date between January 1 and December 31 of the current year, and they must be in playable form by November 1.
- Each year, we also select an individual who has been a pioneer in the field of children’s interactive media and a budding newcomer who has made a significant contribution over the past year.
Do I need to select a category?
Yes. The list of categories you can submit for includes:
- Best of Children’s App (Pre-Reader)
- Best of Children’s App (Older Children)</li >
- Best Use of Emerging Technology
- Best Robotics
- Best Creative Experience
- Best School-Based Product
- Best Maker Spirit Product or Service
- Best STEAM or STEM Product
- Best Overall Technology Toy
- Pioneer Award (this is for a person or team, not a product)
For more description of each category click here. (LINK TO CATEGORY DESCRIPTION)You can select two categories when you submit your entry. All products will automatically be considered for Best Overall Technology Toy.
What products are not considered?
Non-interactive products, such as videos, movies or books are not considered. Only interactive (non-linear) products are considered.
How do I enter?
There are three ways to enter.
- Enter here by using the online application. Your submission will appear on the website and will be top of mind in the conversation among the judges and the viewing audience.
- Get nominated by “the academy” and your company will be contacted to submit an application based on the merits of your product.
- Apply for a scholarship. If the fee is prohibitive you can contact Tonda Bunge Sellers [email protected] for a waiver.
What is the deadline?
Products must be in playable format by November 1 of the current year, in order to be demonstrated at the Dust or Magic Institute. Entries for the KAPi awards are due as specified in the Important Dates sidebar.
Is there an entry fee?
Yes, as detailed in the application form. Also keep in mind that there are costs associated to attend the International CES where the awards are presented.
Who coordinates the KAPi awards?
What is the motive of these awards?
The KAPi awards recognize excellence in design and innovation. Organizers Robin Raskin, Warren Buckleitner, and Tonda Bunge Sellers coordinate annual events that provide face to face forums for decision-makers to touch base on which products, people, and companies should be honored for raising the bar of excellence for innovation for kid’s tech.
Who selects the winners?
Our panel of distinguished judges, representing all facets of the kids’ media business, engage in a series of conversations via phone and email to determine what the characteristics of good kids’ tech play should be and which nominated products are most deserving.
When are the winners announced and presented?
The winners will be contacted in late November, we will announce the winners following the personal outreach. The awards presentation takes place at the Kids and Family Technology Summit on January 9th in the Venetian Lando Room (4302).
What do I win?
Winners will appear on stage to accept a trophy and deliver an acceptance speech. There is a sticker/awards label for your websites and materials. A press release will be issued and a full videotape of the ceremony will be made available on the website and to the press.
What if I have more questions?
Additional inquiries should be sent to: Tonda Bunge Sellers, Producer KAPi Awards [email protected] 512-626-3334
1 person likes this